PE in school
Each class has regular PE lessons delivered by the class teachers. These change throughout the year to cover a range of different skills. We aim to provide high quality sports coaching for children across the school through the year.
In addition the Year 4, 5 and 6 children receive regular specialist coaching from Dauntsey’s School who teach hockey, football and cricket. Throughout the year children have opportunities to receive coaching from other outside agencies such as Tag Rugby.
We use as many opportunities as possible for the children to participate in festivals and fixtures to play sports with children form other schools.
Currently children in Years 2, 3 and 4 swim for 4 terms a year. We use the Five Rivers Leisure Centre in Salisbury which has a shallow teaching pool in addition to a 25m pool.
The national requirement for swimming is by the end of year 6 to swim competently, confidently and proficiently over a distance of at least 25 metres, use a range of strokes effectively and perform safe self-rescue in different water-based situations.
- This year we have 9 year 6 children, all of whom meet these national requirements.
The additional government funding for PE is being used to improve PE provision. The core rationale for spending is that the improved provision must be sustainable. The Sports Premium for improving provision of school sport continues in 2018 – 19.
This coming financial year we will use the premium in the following ways:
- Improve our outdoor provision for physical fitness and activities.
- Provide specialist coaching during curriculum time across the year groups.
- Provide professional development opportunities for staff to improve skills and confidence enabling quality teaching and learning for all children.
- Continue to maintain our new playing field which enables all children to have access to a flat and secure playing field close to the school and necessary facilities.
- Continue to offer opportunities for a wide range and number of inter-school activities to pupils across the school including gymnastics, golf, football, hockey, tag rugby, orienteering, multi-sports, netball , archery and athletics.
- Increase resources/equipment.
- Provide after school sports clubs.
A survey of staff and children before any money was spent will help us to measure the impact of our PE spend.