Special Educational Needs


The SENCO (Special Educational Needs Coordinator for our school is Mrs Claire Goddard.

School Offer

St Thomas a Becket School Special Educational Needs
General Information about the School
SEN Profile
Total number of children special needs is 7%.
Broken into the broad areas of speech/language, cognition/learning and behavioural/ social/ emotional.


  • 2% Speech/lang/cog/learning
  • 2% Cognition/learning/behavioural/social/emotional
  • 3% Cognition/learning

Our school currently has 5% children with SEN support (this category incorporates children previously on School Action and School Action Plus). We currently have 2% of children with an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) (this category incorporates children previously categorized as with a Statement of Special Education Needs).

How does the school decide whether my child requires additional support?

If limited progress is being made or the child is working below national expectations the school will provide additional support, usually in class or in one-to-one or small group sessions, to improve progress/attainment. For most children, this support may only be required for a short time and it does not mean that these children have special educational needs.

Change in the pupil’s behaviour will always be investigated as will parental or carers concerns.

Class teachers and the head teacher (who is also the SENCO – Special Needs Coordinator) are always available to discuss these concerns.

What are Special Educational Needs

Children will be identified as having a Special Educational Need where they continue to make inadequate progress despite high-quality teaching targeted and targeted intervention.

The class teacher working with the SENCO (Special Needs Coordinator) will assess whether the child has a significant learning difficulty.

Where this is the case, then there should be agreement about the SEN (Special Educational Needs) support that is required to support the child.

Communication – Will I know if the school has concerns about my child?

As soon as the school identifies that your child needs additional support with a particular aspect of their education, you will be informed verbally by your child’s class teacher. Attainment and progress is reported formally to parents twice a year (Feb and July) but if there are any concerns with your child’s progress the class teacher will report progress to you verbally on a regular basis (half-termly at least).

If your child does need additional support for an extended period of time (one year or more) a “My Plan”, which includes a pupil profile, targets and the nature of the support being provided, will be written for your child. The school will write ‘My Plan’ with the parents/carers and child’s input.

We will liaise with you over the use of outside agencies and the support these can offer and talk to you about the support you can provide at home.

What sort of support might my child receive?

Cognition and Learning

Additional phonics intervention – one to one or small group with teacher or teaching assistant. This may include use of relevant computer programmes (i.e Nessy or Wordshark).

Additional reading intervention – one to one with teaching assistant or other supporting adult

Additional Numeracy intervention – one to one or small group with teacher or teaching assistant

Use of strategies to help develop understanding of the process of learning (prompt cards, support place mats, visual reminders and resources)

Activities to develop thinking and/or memory skills.

Speech and Language

Visual timetables and prompts

Building confidence through targeted praise and reinforcement

Provision of structured language programme following assessment by a Speech and Language therapist.

Social and Communication

Visual timetables, sand timers, additional time

Separate work station to minimise distractions

Individual reward systems

Provision of structured environment with clear expectations and routines, as far as is possible

Consideration of sensory difficulties (eg not eating in lunch hall)

Behaviour, emotional and social development

Personal behaviour plan with individual reward system

Explicit activities to develop relationships, social skills and self-esteem (circle time)

Visual prompts and reminders

Positive home/school link book

Individual work stations

Who can help the school, parents/carers and children with SEN?

Outside agencies are professionals who work within the local authority or the NHS and have specialist understanding in particular areas that will help us to meet your child’s needs.

The following outside agencies offer support to our school:

Special Educational Needs Support Service (SENSS) Team

Speech and Language (SALT)

Occupational Therapy (OT)

Educational Psychologist (ED PSYCH)

Behaviour Support (BSS)

Child Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS)

Assessment and review – How often will I get updates on my child’s progress?

Once a ‘My Plan’ is in place, these will be reviewed formally 3 times per year in October, February and June. However we will maintain good communication informally with you over your child’s progress.

Pupils with an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) (previously a “statement”) will also have an annual review once a year. You will be notified at the start of the year when this will be happening. An early annual review may be called if school staff consider it necessary. This may be because your child’s statement needs to be amended in some way before the scheduled annual review.

School Accessibility – How accessible is the school for my child?

Most of the school is accessible to wheelchair users or those with limited mobility. However there are stairs in the old part of the building which is regularly used by reception and year 1 children and steps up to the playground.

There are two disabled toilets within the school.

What provision is in place for my child on school trips?

School trips are available to all. If necessary a meeting may be arranged with you beforehand to ensure that all measures have been taken to enable your child to be fully included. In special circumstances, you may be asked to accompany your child during the activity but the school do everything they can to ensure that your child can access it independently.

Pupils with medical needs

If necessary appropriate staff will receive training on supporting children with specific medical needs. Information on any potential emergency medical needs will be posted in all rooms for staff to access if an emergency arises.

Transition – Joining us

There are strategies in place to enable the pupil’s transition to be as smooth as possible. These include:

Discussions between the previous schools prior to the pupil joining.

Pupils entering at the start of the year will have the opportunity to spend a morning in their new class prior to joining. Where a move happens mid-year, we will also liaise with you to arrange a “taster” visit prior to starting if possible.

For a pupil with an Educational Health and Care Plan (EHCP) or who has more specialised needs, an additional meeting may be arranged between yourselves and the SENCO involved prior to starting to ensure that the necessary provision is in place.

The SENCO may need to liaise with outside agencies prior to your child starting to ensure that the necessary training/ provision is in place.

Our SEN policy can be found here: Special Educational Needs Policy 2018

Moving on

For pupils with SEN transitioning to new schools we will liaise carefully with the new school and help ensure the necessary provision is in place and arrange extra visits to the new school prior to joining if necessary.

Wiltshire Local Offer link: https://www.wiltshirelocaloffer.org.uk/send-service/send-support/